Saturday, May 26, 2012

Grandfather's dirty pictures

 

She looked at me like someone who has just solved the crossword puzzle with a shrewd ``Emu'' in the top right hand corner.

Grandfather's dirty pictures  typewriter erotica in the 1920s. (NSFW-ish.) 

A camera that takes word pictures, by the designer Matt Richardson

MoMA's 'Dial-A-Poem' Brings You Ecstatic Language On The Go
A new installation at the Museum of Art in New York, titled, "Dial-a-Poem" brings ecstatic poetry to you online or over the phone at any time of the day or nigh
http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2012/ecstaticalphabets/dial-a-poem/


We are pleased to announce the BIG BRIDGE 15 YEAR ANNIVERSARY ISSUE! including Cuyahoga Burning, edited by Jonathan Penton:
http://www.bigbridge.org/BB16/bios/editors.htm

...the sheer number of poets now plying their craft inevitably ensures moderation and safety. The national (or even transnational) demand for a certain kind of prize-winning, “well-crafted” poem—a poem that the New Yorker would see fit to print and that would help its author get one of the “good jobs” advertised by the Association of Writers & Writing Programs—has produced an extraordinary uniformity.---
From Marjorie Perloff’s essay, “Poetry on the Brink,”recently published in the Boston Review,
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR37.3/marjorie_perloff_poetry_lyric_reinvention.php


When my mother was very old and in a nursing home, she surprised me one day toward the end of her life by asking me if I still wrote poetry. When I blurted out that I still do, she stared at me with incomprehension. I had to repeat what I said, till she sighed and shook her head, probably thinking to herself this son of mine has always been a little nuts. Now that I’m in my seventies, I’m asked that question now and then by people who don’t know me well. Many of them, I suspect, hope to hear me say that I’ve come my senses and given up that foolish passion of my youth and are visibly surprised to hear me confess that I haven’t yet. They seem to think there is something downright unwholesome and even shocking about it, as if I were dating a high school girl, at my age, and going with her roller-skating that night...

Charles Simic wrote this post on the New York Review of Books blog explaining why he still writes poems.
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/may/15/why-i-still-write-poetry/



Charles Bukowski on depression, withdrawal, and creativity

Poetry in Britain

http://www.granta.com/New-Writing/Poetry-in-Britain


Iain Sinclair visits Gary Snyder at his retreat in the woods.


“I shot the serif. (But I did not shoot the sans-serif.)” A first-person-shooter typography game.

The right words never find themselves cut into stone.” Montana poet Richard Hugo’s “grave poems.” 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff.
Perloff finds much bottomry
afoot in current poetry.

Cited...

The poet doesn't invent. He listens. ~Jean Cocteau