Friday, May 22, 2009

Blind Review Friday

Blind Review Friday.

The author shall remain anonymous (unless they chose to divulge themselves in the comments.)

Those commenting are also welcome to remain anonymous if they wish.

Incendiary comments will be removed.

If you would like your piece thrown to the wolves send it to salinger@ameritech.net with "Workshop the hell out of this poem" as the subject line.


Last week's offering Old Men Playing Basketball was by B.H. Fairchild.

This weeks piece comes from a Clevelandpoetics - the Blog Reader:

My Dentist's Son

My dentist's son
whose eyes are blue jewelry
and intricate as a diamond drill,
watches the excavation in my mouth,
with goofy horror.

He is delighted.
A virtuouso actor, he gags
at the stumped tooth
while Dad attempts to crown it.

Such curiosity could burn to the earth's core
or make the universe heave up its entrails.

4 comments:

Geoffrey A. Landis said...

Say, I liked it.

I'd like to get a feel for the age of the kid, though

Theresa Göttl Brightman said...

i love the image of the universe's entrails.

very nice.

Shelley Chernin said...

There's a lot of story here in just a few lines, which I admire.

The last two lines would have been more powerful for me if I had seen the child's curiosity in the preceding stanzas. I had no idea that the child was feeling curious until the poet told me.

Mary Turzillo said...

Thanks -- this is an old poem, but one that still has some resonance for me. For some reason or other I often think of at least the premise of a poem while I'm in the dentist's chair --

Thanks for the comments. They are helpful.

Cited...

The poet doesn't invent. He listens. ~Jean Cocteau