Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Herb Kauderer interviewed

I want to give a shout out to this interview of Buffalo-area poet Herb Kauderer by Mary Turzillo:

Photo of steel factory
MT:  So, are poems by nature lies, or only some of them?
HK:  That’s a marvelously metaphysical question that requires secondary definition. Is a lie only a conscious attempt to mislead? What if the teller of the lie believes it? If the latter is true, then the teller is not qualified to call it a lie or truth.
I write some poems that are intentional lies in pursuit of a greater truth. I write other poems that are as true as I can make them at the time of composition, only to find out that time has turned them into lies.
[...]
Therefore a concise answer to your question is, “only some poems are lies, but I’m not telling you which.”

No comments:

Cited...

The poet doesn't invent. He listens. ~Jean Cocteau